Guidelines on junk food sale near schools by July: Centre to HC
New Delhi: The Centre on Wednesday informed the Delhi High Court that draft guidelines on regulating sale of junk food and aerated drinks in and around school premises would be ready by July this year.
Appearing before a bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Jayant Nath, Additional Solicitor General Rajeeve Mehra said private firm AC Nielsen QRG-MARG Pvt Ltd is in the process of framing norms to regulate availability of junk food and carbonated drinks within 500 yards of schools.
The draft guidelines would be complete by July 21, he said. The senior law officer also submitted that after the draft guidelines were prepared, the food processing companies will be consulted for their opinion and then the final guidelines will be prepared.
After recording submissions of the government counsel, the bench fixed July 22 for further hearing of the matter.
Meanwhile, the Delhi government counsel submitted that the Lt Governor has the power to issue directions to city schools but the same can be done only after the Centre frames guidelines on the issue.
The court was hearing a PIL filed by Rakesh Prabhakar, a lawyer for NGO `Uday Foundation`, seeking a direction banning sale of junk food and aerated drinks in and around schools.
In January last year, the court had given six-month time to the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) for framing guidelines on banning sale of junk food and aerated drinks in and around educational institutions.
The court had also asked the FSSAI to consult the All India Food Processors` Association (AIFPA) and restaurant associations for framing the guidelines.
AIFPA, in its application, had said that it deals with processing of fruits and vegetables, meat and fish, milk and milk products and also the manufacturers of biscuits and confectionery products.
It also said that it may give some advice to the FSSAI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack