Hospitals can’t deny help to rape, accident victims: HC
New Delhi: In a directive that will go a long way in preventing loss of life due to delayed medical help, the Delhi High Court on Thursday ordered the state government to ensure that all hospitals, including private hospitals don’t deny treatment to rape and road accident victims.
A division bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice VK Jain asked the principal secretary of the health department, Delhi government, to issue directions to all the private and government hospitals in the city to not refuse admission to the victims for immediate treatment.
"We direct principal secretary of health department, government of Delhi, to issue directions to all hospitals including private - recognised or not - to admit the victims of rape and road accidents for immediate first-aid treatment," said the bench.
The court also wanted that the police be given clear instructions to take those injured to the nearest hospital "without any debate" to identify a government hospital that is nearby.
"Why can`t you consider issuing standing instructions to all hospitals to treat victims brought to them without any delay?" the court told the police. "A hospital should not delay treatment on any grounds. If the hospital is a small hospital, at least they should give first aid to the victims before sending them elsewhere," the court said.
The court’s order comes after the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old para-medical student on December 16. The girl and her friend were stripped off and thrown out of the bus.
Later the 28-year-old man told Zee News that the policemen who reached the spot, initially, argued over the jurisdiction of the case, rather than taking them to a hospital. They were driven many kilometers to government-run Safdarjung Hospital, though there were many good private hospitals near where she was found in a bloodied condition.
The JS Verma Committee tasked to look into possible amendments to the criminal law for quicker trial and enhanced punishment for rapists had slammed Delhi`s police, public and the administration for not acting promptly to help the gang-rape victim in its report made public last week.
The panel slammed the police practice of "approaching only a government hospital and not the nearest available hospital" in a medico-legal case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!