If PM has any dignity, he must resign: Varun Gandhi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: BJP leader Varun Gandhi said on Friday that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh must resign in the wake of Rahul Gandhi calling the ordinance on convicted lawmakers cleared by the Union Cabinet as `nonsense`, as per reports.
In what is being seen as a divide between the government and the ruling party, Congress vice president today said the Manmohan Singh government was "wrong" in clearing an ordinance that seeks to save convicted lawmakers from disqualification and, in his opinion, it should be "torn up and thrown away".
"What the government has done is wrong," Gandhi told journalists in a dramatic appearance at the Press Club of India this afternoon and a three-minute interaction with the media there.
Seeking to project the Congress party`s line on the controversial ordinance - sent by the cabinet to the president - that has evoked sharp response from sections of the opposition and the public at large, Gandhi said: "It is time to stop this nonsense.
"My opinion of the ordinance is that it is completely nonsense and should be torn up and thrown away."
He said the ordinance was born out of "political considerations" and it was time "political parties, including mine, should stop making these kind of compromises.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Youngsters at alcohol risk can be identified on social media
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, BSEB 10th Result 2016: Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016 to be declared at 3 pm today
- Whoa! Shah Rukh Khan catches a plane back from work to beat the traffic! – See pic
- Music director Anu Malik hospitalized!
- Rescued migrants say ship sank off Italy with hundreds aboard