`Inflated` power bills: Arvind Kejriwal to fast starting March 23
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party national convener Arvind Kejriwal on Monday announced an indefinite fast as part of his ongoing "civil disobedience movement" over rising electricity and water prices in the national capital.
The social activist-turned-politician will go on his indefinite fast from March 23.
Kejriwal has also urged the residents of Delhi not to pay their electricity bill from March 23, adding that he would not pay his Ghaziabad residence electricity bill from the same date.
"I will go on an indefinite fast from March 23. I will have just water. This is not a hunger strike to demand some thing. This is a fast meant to awaken people, to help them remove their fears. I urge them not to pay bills."
"I will appeal to the people not to pay electricity bills from March 23 onwards. I will not pay my Ghaziabad residence electricity bill from March 23 onwards," he added.
"They may be afraid they will be sent to jail, their power connection snapped. If you are afraid, AAP volunteers will help you restore your connection. If you are afraid, do not pay the bills at least for one month. No one can snap your connections for not paying the bill for one month," he said.
"The people of Delhi should not pay half the amount of electricity bills because only half of the bill is justified," Kejriwal said.
Kejriwal, who resides in Uttar Pradesh`s Kaushambi near Delhi border, also said he will try to stay in Delhi.
He alleged that corruption was behind the recent hike in electricity and water charges.
Alleging "match fixing" between Delhi government, private discoms and Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC), he said: "The increase in water and electricity prices is nothing but corruption of the government."
The activist-turned-politician urged people to extend their support for his movement against "injustice".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference