`Inflated` power bills: Arvind Kejriwal to fast starting March 23
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party national convener Arvind Kejriwal on Monday announced an indefinite fast as part of his ongoing "civil disobedience movement" over rising electricity and water prices in the national capital.
The social activist-turned-politician will go on his indefinite fast from March 23.
Kejriwal has also urged the residents of Delhi not to pay their electricity bill from March 23, adding that he would not pay his Ghaziabad residence electricity bill from the same date.
"I will go on an indefinite fast from March 23. I will have just water. This is not a hunger strike to demand some thing. This is a fast meant to awaken people, to help them remove their fears. I urge them not to pay bills."
"I will appeal to the people not to pay electricity bills from March 23 onwards. I will not pay my Ghaziabad residence electricity bill from March 23 onwards," he added.
"They may be afraid they will be sent to jail, their power connection snapped. If you are afraid, AAP volunteers will help you restore your connection. If you are afraid, do not pay the bills at least for one month. No one can snap your connections for not paying the bill for one month," he said.
"The people of Delhi should not pay half the amount of electricity bills because only half of the bill is justified," Kejriwal said.
Kejriwal, who resides in Uttar Pradesh`s Kaushambi near Delhi border, also said he will try to stay in Delhi.
He alleged that corruption was behind the recent hike in electricity and water charges.
Alleging "match fixing" between Delhi government, private discoms and Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC), he said: "The increase in water and electricity prices is nothing but corruption of the government."
The activist-turned-politician urged people to extend their support for his movement against "injustice".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins