Jamia Metro Station site changed
New Delhi: Heeding to suggestions from Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi Metro on Friday shifted the proposed Jamia Nagar Metro station from the main gardens to one end of the university that would be more accessible to people in and around the area.
Jamia Nagar station would now come up near the Naom Chomsky Centre of the central university which had opposed the construction of the structure in front of the Administrative Block that overlooks the main gardens citing security concerns.
After a detailed study that went into the feasibility of shifting the location of the station, Delhi Metro and a senior professor of the University today inspected the suggested spot and finalised it as the new location for the station.
"The proposed station site will be shifted towards Kalindi Kunj side about 120 metres from the earlier location. There will be no change in the alignment," a Delhi Metro spokesman said.
He said work on design for the new station would begin
immediately, after which the Delhi Metro would knock at the doors of the varsity for handing over of required land.
Jamia Vice Chancellor Najib Jung had opposed the station in front of the gardens which overlooks the administrative building, saying it would bring in safety issues for women students.
However, after talks, Jung agreed to shifting of the station from the current location to a spot in the varsity campus.
Prof Khalid Moin, Dean Faculty of Engineering and Technology, and Professor of Civil Engineering, said the station would now come up near Naom Chomsky Centre and that no buildings will have to be razed for the purpose.
"The inspection was satisfactory. It was required in order to comply with the proposal given by us in our last meeting with DMRC officials. DMRC had done their initial study and calculations and they reported it to us," Moin, who was part of today`s inspection team, said.
"It is to our satisfaction as well. People from the Jamia Nagar locality will also have a closer access to the Metro station now," he said.
A Metro station in the area which has poor transport
facilities would help thousands of people in densely-populated areas of Jamia Nagar, Batla House and Zakir Nagar.
The new spot is right where Jamia Nagar begins and it would be closer to residential areas.
The station around the Jamia Milia Islamia campus would benefit at least 20,000 people, including students, daily once Metro operations start on the corridor.
On handing over of required land, Moin said "it is not an issue. They just need to establish a pier and we will give them the land whenever they require it. No building will have to be razed in the process."
The study conducted by the Delhi Metro has given the go-ahead for shifting of the station by 100 to 200 metres from the proposed location as all tests conducted at the spot are successful.
The findings of the study, which was commissioned last week, was shared with authorities of the university today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt