Kin of traffic cop killed in road mishap get Rs 37 lakh
New Delhi: The family members of a traffic constable, who died after a motorcyle hit his two-wheeler, have been granted over Rs 37 lakh as compensation by a motor accident claims tribunal (MACT) here.
MACT presiding officer Arun Bhardwaj directed Oriental Insurance Co Ltd, with which the offending motorcycle was insured, to pay the amount to the widow, minor children and mother of the deceased, Vinod Kumar, who had suffered fatal injuries in the accident on February 19, 2011 near Sector 13 Dwarka Metro Station here.
"Total compensation payable to the petitioners (Kumar`s family) would be Rs 37,28,772... Insurance company has not proved any defence. Therefore, compensation is to be paid by insurance company," the tribunal said.
According to the testimony of an eye-witness, Kumar`s two-wheeler was hit by a motorcycle ridden in a rash and negligent manner by Mohd Arshad.
The witness had deposed that the accident had occurred in front of Keshav Kunj Chowk here.
The police officer was first rushed to Ayushman Hospital and thereafter he was moved to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, where he succumbed to injuries on February 21, 2011.
The owner of the offending two-wheeler, Mohd Rashid, and Arshad, who was riding it, had contended that Kumar himself was responsible for the accident as he was riding his motorcycle at a high speed.
The tribunal, however, rejected the contention on the basis of the eye-witness` testimony, which was not challenged by the rider or owner of the offending two-wheeler.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi