Lady Shri Ram College to felicitate Suu Kyi
New Delhi: Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi will be felicitated on Friday at the Lady Shri Ram College here where she studied political science.
Suu Kyi, who is coming to India Tuesday at the invitation of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, will visit LSR, as the college is known, to meet the principal, students and faculty.
"The college will felicitate her and try to make her feel good and nostalgic," Veena Ravikumar, an associate professor at the LSR`s political science department, told IANS.
"She will meet final year students of the political science department. We will present a little programme," she added.
"Two of my students will interview her for the department journal," she added.
One of Suu Kyi`s cloest friends from her younger days, Malavika Karlekar, has described the Myanmar leader as a "quiet, obedient girl with a great flair for creating writing".
She lived with her mother Aung San or Daw Khin Kyi as she was known on 24, Akbar Road, which is now the Congress party headquarters.
Her mother had been named the ambassador to India and Nepal in 1960.
The young woman, who later battled the Myanmar military junta, did her schooling here at the Convent of Jesus and Mary before joining LSR, one of Delhi`s most repurted colleges.
For higher education, she moved to St. Hugh`s College at Oxford. She was also a Fellow for two years at the Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Shimla.
Over the years, she came to be influenced by Mahatma Gandhi and Buddhist thoughts.
Suu Kyi, who will be in India Nov 13-18, will meet Sonia Gandhi and deliver the Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Lecture on his birth anniversary Nov 14.
She will visit Bangalore and two villages in Andhra Pradesh to study women empowerment and development models.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!