Man gets life term for poisoning wife to death
New Delhi: A man has been sentenced to life imprisonment for poisoning his wife to death with the court convicting him on the basis of depositions of his three minor children.
District Judge P S Teji sentenced 38-year-old city resident Vikas Gupta for murdering his wife by administering a pesticide in a glass of water that he gave her to drink.
"It has already been established that it was the accused (Gupta) who gave cockroach killing pesticide to the deceased after mixing it in water. So, the medical evidence as well as FSL report also establishes the case of prosecution that the accused committed the murder of his own wife by administering poison to her," the court said.
Gupta murdered his wife and then took his wife to hospital along with other family members, said the court adding that the case, however, does not fall into the category of rarest of rare crime warranting death penalty.
"Convict Vikas Gupta is hereby awarded sentence of life imprisonment and fine of Rs 10,000 for the offence under section 302 IPC," it said, noting that he has three children and old parents to support.
The prosecution case dated back to September 2009 when Mandawali resident Gupta gave pesticides to his wife Bharti to get rid of the frequent fights between them.
The prosecution said Gupta used to abuse and beat his wife and on the fateful day, a fed up victim said it would be better to die instead of living such a life.
At this, Gupta gave her a glass of water mixed with the pesticide, which she drank and died.
The court, while convicting Gupta, also relied on the statements of the couple`s three children who testified that their father, who was an alcoholic, had killed their mother in front of them.
In his testimony, the couple`s son said when his mother started vomiting with froth coming out of her mouth, his father kept her watching, refusing to anything to save her.
He said her mother`s condition deteriorated soon after she consumed the water which his father had given to her.
The court also rejected Gupta`s plea of alibi that he was not present at home when his wife consumed poison.
"The eye witnesses (children) have categorically deposed against the accused that he administered intoxicant to the deceased after mixing it in water. So, the plea of alibi taken by the accused appears to be false," the district judge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA