Man given 6 months jail term for possessing heroin
New Delhi: A man caught with around 15 grams of heroin this year has been sentenced to six months in jail by a Delhi court.
While convicting Central Delhi resident Satish under the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act, Additional Sessions Judge Narinder Kumar also imposed a fine of Rs 500 on him.
"This court finds that the prosecution has established its case against the accused... He was found in possession of 15 gms of heroin.
"Having regard to the quantity recovered from the convict (Satish) and that he is a poor person and not a previous convict, I hereby sentence him to imprisonment for a period of six months and to pay fine of Rs 500," the judge said.
The Delhi police sleuths had arrested Satish in January this year at Nabi Karim area in Central Delhi after suspecting him of carrying some contraband drugs.
According to the police, 15 grams of heroin was recovered from him after a formal search was conducted.
Seeking leniency for the convict, Satish`s counsel told the court that his client is a poor person, having the responsibility to look after his aged mother and children.
He added that Satish had already served a jail term for about three months during investigation of the case.
The court, while handing down the punishment, set off half his sentence against the three-month jail term already served by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof