Man jailed for 6 months in cheque bounce case
New Delhi: A man has been sentenced to six months in jail in a cheque bounce case with the court saying that such offences are on "rise" and have "massive effect" on the economic condition of the victims.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 1,000 on convict Kundan, a Delhi resident as he failed to pay the complete amount to his debtor, despite promising to pay him the same after reaching a settlement with him.
The court rejected the convict`s plea for leniency and for his release on probation.
"It is necessary to be mentioned here that the offences under section 138 (relating to dishonour of cheque for insufficiency of funds) of the Negotiable Instruments Act are on high rise and in order to keep the spirit of the legislation, the accused cannot be released on probation as these offences have massive effect on the economic condition of the persons," Metropolitan Magistrate Vishal Pahuja said.
The court noted that the dispute was settled between Kundan and complainant Fateh Chand from whom he had taken Rs 72,000 loan.
It added that they had agreed to settle the case for a final payment of Rs 72,000 but Kundan was able to pay only Rs 33,000.
"The accused has settled the matter with the complainant during the proceedings and made part payment towards the same but due to the lack of arrangement of the funds he could not make the remaining payment.
"Keeping in view, the points put forth by both parties, this court deems fit that accused be sentenced to six months simple imprisonment and fine of Rs 1,000 and in default the accused shall under go one month simple imprisonment in addition to six months simple imprisonment," the court said.
Delhi-resident Fateh Chand had moved the court under the Negotiable Instruments Act contending that he had given a friendly loan to Kundan in 2006 but the cheque issued by the accused for paying the amount back was rejected by the bank due to "insufficient funds".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi