Man jailed for raping sister-in-law in Delhi
New Delhi: A man has been sentenced to seven years in jail by a Delhi court for raping his 17-year-old sister-in-law. Additional Sessions Judge Renu Bhatnagar awarded the jail term to Delhi-resident Jaspal Singh, saying the victim`s testimony has proved the case of the prosecution that it was the convict who had raped her.
"There is nothing to disbelieve the testimony of the girl which is convincing and cogent. No justifiable reason of false implication is given by the accused in his defence.
"The accused is the brother-in-law of the girl. The statement of the girl is duly corroborated by the medical evidence... And the same inspires confidence and clearly proves the case of the prosecution that it was the accused who had committed rape upon the girl without her consent," the judge said.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 on Singh. According to the prosecution, Singh had raped the girl in 2010 when she alone at her house and he had come there to enquire about his wife.
The girl, who had earlier turned hostile and denied of being raped by the accused, later told the truth on being cross-examined in the court.
She had earlier said the accused was angry when he came to know that her sister had gone out with his mother-in-law and he had slapped and pushed her but not raped her.
She later supported the prosecution`s case saying on the day of the incident she was not well and when she was resting in her room, the accused came there and raped her.
During the trial, the accused had said he was called at the girl`s house to settle his matrimonial dispute but was falsely implicated in the rape case when he refused to give them Rs three lakh.
The court rejected his contention, saying he has failed to show any evidence that he had already given Rs one lakh to the girl`s mother and the medical evidence proved that he had raped the victim.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- AR Rahman's romantic ballads steal Delhi hearts