Man wants details of gangrape victim to be made public
New Delhi: The proceedings in the case of the gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old girl in a Delhi court on Saturday were marked by some drama when a man demanded that the details of the victim be made public.
Swami Om Ji, claiming to be the founder of and chairman of an organisation for rape victims, moved an application praying that the details and particulars of the victim be made public and the copies of the charge sheet be supplied to all the print and electronic media.
"I am a citizen of India and the girl who was gangraped and murdered was a daughter of the nation. Her male friend had appeared on television yesterday.
So there is nothing to hide now," he argued in the court of Metropolitan Magistrate Namrita Aggarwal.
The prosecution, however, objected to the man`s plea and questioned his locus in the case. Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan informed the court that "a case has already been filed against the news channel which had aired the interview of the male friend."
With the man pressing his application, the magistrate asked him to approach the sessions court and the prosecution may file its reply there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened