Metro stations shut; traffic jams choke Delhi
New Delhi: The closure of key roads and nine Delhi Metro stations in the city centre following protests against the gang-rape of a young woman choked parts of the capital on Monday.
The 2.5 km stretch between India Gate and Rashtrapati Bhavan was barricaded for traffic. The India Gate lawns were sealed off to prevent a repeat of Sunday`s clashes between security forces and demonstrators.
The closure of nine major Metro stations caused immense confusion.
Thousands of central government employees had to walk long distances as Metro stations close to their offices near Sunday`s protest site remained shut for a second straight day.
The metro stations which were shut are Patel Chowk, Central Secretariat, Udyog Bhavan, Race Course Road, Khan Market, Rajiv Chowk, Barakhamba Road, Mandi House and Pragati Maidan.
Delhi Traffic Police said all eight arterial roads that lead to India Gate would be closed for traffic.
The closure of roads led to diversion of traffic, causing massive snarls on major roads leading to the city centre and beyond.
"I had to walk 30 minutes to reach my office in Udyog Bhavan from Parliament Street as there were no buses, no Metro and not even autos," said Pallavi Goswami, a government employee.
"I was asked to show my identity card before police let me cross a barricade," she said.
Many people complained they were not aware of metro stations` closure.
"There were huge crowds outside the stations and no one responded on Metro helpline," complained Mahima Gupta, who travels by Metro to Gurgaon in Haryana.
Buses were packed to the brim.
"It was so difficult to even board a bus as they were all crowded. People were barely standing on the foot-board," said Rajat Singhal, a bank employee.
Auto-rickshaws reportedly demanded exorbitant fares.
"I had to pay the money as I had no choice," rued Kritika Singh, who works in a private firm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof