Mirchpur Dalits killing: Convicts bail plea denied
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday denied bail to three persons, convicted along with 12 others in the 2010 Mirchpur Dalits killings case.
A bench of justices S Ravindra Bhat and SP Garg dismissed the interim bail applications of convicts Kulwinder, Dharambir and Ramphal, after perusing the reports furnished by senior superintendent of police of Hissar district in Haryana.
The court, meanwhile, fixed seven petitions, filed against the lower court verdict, for hearing on July, 16, 17 and 18.
Fifteen persons, including the trio who applied for the bail, were awarded varying jail terms by the lower court for their involvements in the April 2010 killings of a 70-year-old dalit Tarachand and his physically-challenged teen-aged daughter Suman at Haryana`s Mirchpur village.
While Kulwinder, Ramphal and Rajender were awarded life imprisonment, five others -- Baljeet, Karamveer, Karampal, Dharambir and Bobal -- were handed down varying jail terms up to five years for their roles in the offence.
Seven others, convicted under milder penal provisions, were released on probation by the lower court, which had earlier acquitted 82 out of 97 accused in the case.
The convicts, belonging to Jat community, were held guilty for setting ablaze Tarachand`s house, which caused the deaths. The incident had taken place after a dispute between Jats and Dalits of the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'