Mirchpur Dalits killing: Convicts bail plea denied
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday denied bail to three persons, convicted along with 12 others in the 2010 Mirchpur Dalits killings case.
A bench of justices S Ravindra Bhat and SP Garg dismissed the interim bail applications of convicts Kulwinder, Dharambir and Ramphal, after perusing the reports furnished by senior superintendent of police of Hissar district in Haryana.
The court, meanwhile, fixed seven petitions, filed against the lower court verdict, for hearing on July, 16, 17 and 18.
Fifteen persons, including the trio who applied for the bail, were awarded varying jail terms by the lower court for their involvements in the April 2010 killings of a 70-year-old dalit Tarachand and his physically-challenged teen-aged daughter Suman at Haryana`s Mirchpur village.
While Kulwinder, Ramphal and Rajender were awarded life imprisonment, five others -- Baljeet, Karamveer, Karampal, Dharambir and Bobal -- were handed down varying jail terms up to five years for their roles in the offence.
Seven others, convicted under milder penal provisions, were released on probation by the lower court, which had earlier acquitted 82 out of 97 accused in the case.
The convicts, belonging to Jat community, were held guilty for setting ablaze Tarachand`s house, which caused the deaths. The incident had taken place after a dispute between Jats and Dalits of the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city