Missing PhD scholar traced to Delhi
Kanpur: The location of a PhD scholar, who went missing on Saturday after visiting the IIT campus here, has been traced to Delhi via mobile phone surveillance, police said on Tuesday.
A police team has been sent to Delhi to find Neha Jaiswal, 28, who is pursuing PhD in environmental science from Chitrakoot University, Kanpur SP (Rural) Manoj Sonkar said.
Jaiswal went missing on May 4 after going to IIT campus to take guidance from professor Nalini Shankar for her research.
Initial investigations revealed that Jaiswal had told some of her friends on the day she went missing that she would be going to Gujarat to meet her boyfriend after visiting Delhi, the SP said.
The police found that after meeting the professor, she had searched information about trains to Gujarat and Delhi using internet, Sonkar said.
She did not reach home that day, after which her parents lodged a report at Kalyanpur police station, he said.
Meanwhile, the IIT administration has maintained that Jaiswal used to occasionally come to the campus and she is not associated with the institute.
"Neha had undertaken a project under Professor Nalini Shankar in 2012 and since then, she had been coming to meet her personally for her project. She is not related to the IIT in any way," Deputy Registrar C P Singh said.
According to the police, the IIT administration has said it could be a case of a love affair.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India