Missing PhD scholar traced to Delhi
Kanpur: The location of a PhD scholar, who went missing on Saturday after visiting the IIT campus here, has been traced to Delhi via mobile phone surveillance, police said on Tuesday.
A police team has been sent to Delhi to find Neha Jaiswal, 28, who is pursuing PhD in environmental science from Chitrakoot University, Kanpur SP (Rural) Manoj Sonkar said.
Jaiswal went missing on May 4 after going to IIT campus to take guidance from professor Nalini Shankar for her research.
Initial investigations revealed that Jaiswal had told some of her friends on the day she went missing that she would be going to Gujarat to meet her boyfriend after visiting Delhi, the SP said.
The police found that after meeting the professor, she had searched information about trains to Gujarat and Delhi using internet, Sonkar said.
She did not reach home that day, after which her parents lodged a report at Kalyanpur police station, he said.
Meanwhile, the IIT administration has maintained that Jaiswal used to occasionally come to the campus and she is not associated with the institute.
"Neha had undertaken a project under Professor Nalini Shankar in 2012 and since then, she had been coming to meet her personally for her project. She is not related to the IIT in any way," Deputy Registrar C P Singh said.
According to the police, the IIT administration has said it could be a case of a love affair.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest