Missing PhD scholar traced to Delhi
Kanpur: The location of a PhD scholar, who went missing on Saturday after visiting the IIT campus here, has been traced to Delhi via mobile phone surveillance, police said on Tuesday.
A police team has been sent to Delhi to find Neha Jaiswal, 28, who is pursuing PhD in environmental science from Chitrakoot University, Kanpur SP (Rural) Manoj Sonkar said.
Jaiswal went missing on May 4 after going to IIT campus to take guidance from professor Nalini Shankar for her research.
Initial investigations revealed that Jaiswal had told some of her friends on the day she went missing that she would be going to Gujarat to meet her boyfriend after visiting Delhi, the SP said.
The police found that after meeting the professor, she had searched information about trains to Gujarat and Delhi using internet, Sonkar said.
She did not reach home that day, after which her parents lodged a report at Kalyanpur police station, he said.
Meanwhile, the IIT administration has maintained that Jaiswal used to occasionally come to the campus and she is not associated with the institute.
"Neha had undertaken a project under Professor Nalini Shankar in 2012 and since then, she had been coming to meet her personally for her project. She is not related to the IIT in any way," Deputy Registrar C P Singh said.
According to the police, the IIT administration has said it could be a case of a love affair.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves