No corruption in IB selection process: HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has
dismissed a plea under the transparency law for disclosure of
selection norms and appointment process in the country`s
internal intelligence agency, Intelligence Bureau (IB).
A bench of Justice Vipin Sanghi rejected the plea by an
unsuccessful IB job aspirant, dismissing his accusation that
IB selection process was plagued by corruption.
"It appears that the selection process has been conducted
in a transparent manner, and there is nothing to indicate any
corruption in the said process," Justice Sanghi said.
The high court`s order came on an appeal by IB job
aspirant Ravinder Kumar Kataria, challenging the Central
Information Commission`s June 2011 order, dismissing his plea
earlier for disclosure of selection process and norms in IB.
Kataria had alleged he could not be selected for the post
of Junior Intelligence Officer (JIO) in IB in 2009 due to
The court accepted the Union Home Ministry`s argument
that Kataria is a Scheduled Caste (SC) candidate and there
were 17 posts reserved for SC category.
All posts have been filled and the petitioner had scored
lesser marks than the candidate last recruited in SC category,
while the cut-off marks for the general category were
substantially higher, the ministry told the court, seeking
dismissal of Kataria`s plea.
Kataria had approached the CIC after the Public
Information Officer (PIO) had rejected his query saying
Section 24 of the RTI Act exempts the intelligence and
security agencies from the Right to Information Act`s purview.
The CIC had rejected Kataria argument that the
information sought by him did not pertain to IB`s functioning
and merely pertained to the recruitment process for public
employment by the agency and so the said information should be
given to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre