Noida rape-murder sparks protests, cops suspended
Noida: Four policemen were suspended and an officer was shunted out here after a 22-year-old missing woman was founded gang-raped and murdered, police said on Sunday.
The victim`s family identified the main suspect as Udaivir Singh Yadav, a resident of Bahlolpur. They said he had not been arrested although he used to torment the victim for a long time.
The mother of the dead woman, who belonged to a low income family, accused the rapists of killing her daughter to do away with evidence that could be used against them.
The gory incident led to angry street protests.
Two constables at the Model Town police post and two others attached to a Police Control Room van have been suspended, a police officer said.
RK Rathi, the Model Town police post in charge, had been shunted to Police Lines after the mother alleged that the police personnel misbehaved with her when she told them that her daughter was missing.
It was on Friday that the victim left her home at 8.30 am for a 12-hour factory job in Sector 63.
When the girl did not reach home until 10 pm, they conducted a search and reached the police station where the officer suggested she might have eloped with her boyfriend.
After police did not show any interest in locating the missing woman, the distraught family contacted the factory whose workers told them they saw her leave at 9.00 pm -- up till the police post.
The family got a call on Saturday morning that the daughter was lying dead alongside a road in Sector 63. She was half naked.
The mother said her daughter was gang-raped before being killed.
She alleged that Yadav, the suspected rapist, used to torment her daughter but Noida police did not pay heed to her complaints.
Once Yadav had barged into her house. At that time police urged her to go for a compromise, suggesting that otherwise it would lead to a long-term conflict with the "notorious character".
This time too, the callous police personnel told her brusquely that her daughter was an adult and must have fled with a friend. They also told her to hunt for the missing daughter on her own.
On Saturday, when the crying woman complained to her neighbours about her plight, angry locals took to the streets shouting slogans against the police.
Some police personnel allegedly wrapped up the body of the victim and, after autopsy, even tried to cremate it hurriedly, the grieving mother told the media.
"The autopsy report is expected within two or three days," said Senior Superintendent of Police Praveen Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack