One conviction out of 635 rape cases in Delhi this year
New Delhi: There has been only one conviction out of over 600 cases of rape reported to Delhi Police this year even as crime against women has been on the rise in the national capital.
As many as 754 accused were arrested in the 635 cases reported to Delhi Police between January and November, the highest in past five years, Home Ministry data said.
Of these total accused, only one was convicted while 403 were facing trials, investigations were pending against 348 and two others were discharged.
A total of 572 rape cases were reported to Delhi Police last year as against 507 in 2010, 469 in 2009 and 466 in 2008.
The Delhi Police arrested 745 accused last year. Of these, 18 were convicted, 34 were acquitted, 597 were facing trials in different courts, 86 were still being investigated and 10 were discharged for the crime.
In 2010, out of 685 arrested accused, 37 were convicted and 107 were acquitted. Trials were going on against 518 accused and investigations were pending against 13 others, the data said.
Whereas, a total of 675 and 604 persons were arrested for rape in 2009 and 2008 respectively. Of these, 82 were convicted in 2009 and 52 in 2008, the data said.
As many as 211 were acquitted in 2009 and 119 in 2008. During 2009, investigation was pending against one accused and in 2008, probe involving 17 accused was yet to be completed, the Home Ministry data said.
The national capital has also reported 624 cases of molestation of women between January and November and the police have arrested 768 accused. However, conviction was done in only one case. The trials were pending against 402 accused and investigations were pending against 356 others suspected to have molested women, it said.
A total of 657 cases of molestation of women were reported last year in which 910 were arrested. Whereas, in 601 cases of molestation of women reported in 2010, 552 in 2009 and 611 in 2008, 867 accused were arrested in 2010, 826 in 2009 and 912 in 2008, the data said.
Only three were convicted for molesting women last year, 12 in 2010, 11 in 2009 and 16 in 2008, it said.
A total of 835 accused arrested in 2011 were facing trials. Also, the trials were pending against 811, 737 and 780 accused arrested in 2010, 2009 and 2008 respectively, the data said.
The national capital has reported 111 cases of dowry harassment between January and November this year. Besides, 98 such cases were reported to Delhi Police last year, 78 in 2010, 118 in 2009 and 104 in 2008.
There were 128 dowry deaths reported in the national capital in the first eleven months this year as against 142 and 143 such deaths in 2011 and 2010 respectively, it said.
A total of 193 cases of eve teasing were reported to Delhi Police between January and November in which 200 accused were arrested. Of these, 105 were still under investigation and 95 were facing trials, the data said adding that there was no conviction in any of the reported cases.
Delhi has reported 165 cases of eve teasing last year and 126 in 2010 in which 172 and 116 accused were arrested respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Salman Khan flaunting his biceps in new 'Sultan' still will leave you flabbergasted! - View pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani': Priyanka Chopra congratulates Sanjay Leela Bhansali for 'Best Director' award at IIFA 2016!
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! Chris Gayle goes berserk as Portugal pip Croatia in Euro 2016
- IIFA 2016: 'Befikre' lover-boy Ranveer Singh writes the most romantic congratulatory note for ladylove Deepika Padukone!
- India to get access to almost 99% of US defence technologies: White House official