Pak diplomat assaulted in Delhi, two arrested
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Tuesday arrested two people in connection with the assault on a Pakistani diplomat and his driver after an accident near the Jawaharlal Nehru University here yesterday.
The two were arrested after the Pakistan High Commission lodged a strong protest with the Ministry of External Affairs and demanded a probe into the alleged attack.
Pakistan High Commission spokesman Manzoor Ali Memon said, “A protest has been lodged with the Indian government with a call to investigate the matter thoroughly and to bring the perpetrators to book."
Pakistan High Commission spokesman Memon said Zargam Raza, the First Secretary (Trade), was going to his home in Vasant Kunj from the mission in Chanakyapuri when two persons on a motorcycle hurled abuses at him near the Jawaharlal Nehru University.
Zargam Raza and his driver were allegedly assaulted near Jawaharlal Nehru University campus at around 6.30 pm on Monday.
When the diplomat objected to the abuse, Raza and his driver were allegedly beaten up by some people, Memon said.
The spokesman said the two persons involved in the incident a First Secretary and his driver "sustained serious injuries" and had been provided medical treatment.
An FIR had also been lodged with police, he said.
The Pakistan High Commission also asked the Indian government to ensure the safety and security of its staff in line with the Vienna Convention and international diplomatic practices.
According to Delhi Police, the incident took place at Ber Sarai at around 7.25 pm when Zirgham Raza, First Secretary (Trade) in the Pakistan High Commission here, was returning to his home in south Delhi`s Vasant Kunj area.
"They met with an accident with a motorcycle coming from Ber Sarai. It was a freak accident and there was no damage or injury to any party," police said, adding he suffered "minor bruises".
However, there are different versions of the accident with the Indian authorities stating that when the diplomat`s car, a Toyota, hit the motorcycle, Roshni, who was sitting behind Rohit, fell off.
There was an argument between Raza`s driver Haider Zaman and the motorcycle duo ensuing in a brawl and the diplomat suffering minor bruises when he tried to intervene.
According to the Delhi Police, the control room received a call at 7.26 pm about the accident. Raza was travelling by his Toyota car.
"The driver and Roshni sustained minor bruises. Raza also received a bruise when he intervened in the matter. Both parties were sent for medical examination," police said.
The police later arrested two people who were involved in the incident for misbehaving with Raza.
The two have been charged under Section 279 (rash and negligent driving) and Section 336 (act of endangering life).
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo