PM directs facelift of Ambedkar memorial in Delhi
New Delhi: The B R Ambedkar memorial, located
in a north Delhi area where the Dalit icon breathed his last,
will get a facelift, with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday
issuing directions for urgently developing it in a manner that
befits the late leader.
Singh reviewed the condition of the memorial, situated in
a bungalow on Alipore Road, during a meeting which was
attended by Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Mukul
Wasnik, sources said.
It was noted that the memorial on a three-acre land
comprises a photo-gallery and a library.
After the review, the Prime Minister directed Wasnik to
take urgent steps to constitute a high-level committee for the
development of the memorial, they said.
Singh said he strongly supports the idea that the
monument devoted to the memory of Ambedkar should be developed
in a manner befitting the great leader, the sources said.
The timing of the decision is significant as Uttar
Pradesh is going to assembly polls in a few months and
Congress would be expecting to boost its prospects by wooing
The Prime Minister earlier met a delegation consisting of
representatives of the memorial and assured them that due
consideration would be given to development of the monument.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees