Raise awareness for respectful treatment to women: AIMWPLB
New Delhi: Expressing grief over the demise of the Delhi gang-rape victim, a prominent muslim women`s body has asked religious leaderships to sensitise society, during religious discourses in order to check atrocities against the fair sex.
Parveen Abdi, Founder Secretary General of All India Muslim Women Personal Law Board (AIMWPLB), engaged in empowering and educating women, has said that she will meet RSS leaders and Shahi Imam for the cause as well.
"I urge the religious leadership across the board to include the issue of fair and respectful treatment to women in their discourse especially by Muslim ulema (Maulanas) in their weekly Juma khutbas (sermon)," Abdi told PTI over phone from Lucknow.
There are many religious programmes on television from all the community leaders including Hindus and Muslims.
"I call upon the leaders to raise awareness among people and sensitise them on the need of treating women in respectable manner during their religious talks," she said.
Abdi said it was time the society rise above all differences and work unanimously for issues related to women safety.
"I will also call upon RSS supremo Mohan Bhagwat in Nagpur and Shahi Imam Syed Ahmad Bukhari in Delhi and request them to use their influence for this nationalist and humanist cause," Abdi said.
The AIMWPLB will also reach out to women and religious leaders across the country through internet and other means to raise awareness on the issue.
It has called upon women at large to rise against the soaring atrocities against them.
Abdi expressed grief over the demise of the Delhi gang rape victim yesterday.
Besides strengthening the law and timely execution of cases, sensitisation of society towards women is very necessary, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'