Rs 600 per month enough to feed family of 5, says Sheila Dikshit
New Delhi: In what came as a shock to many, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said that Rs 600 a month was enough to feed a family of five. The CM was speaking on the occasion of the launch of Delhi government`s cash-for-food programme, Annshree Yojana.
According to a report in the Times of India, the CM maintained that Rs 600 - the cash subsidy - was sufficient for buying the monthly ‘dal, roti and chawal’ for around five people. Congress president and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi was also present on the dais at Thyagaraja Stadium to launch the scheme. Sheila Dikshit said that the Delhi government had set aside Rs 200 crore for funding the Annshree subsidy.
“We got a voluntary organization to carry out a study in the target population to see if people wanted cash or ration. We found that 99% people wanted cash as women felt it would give them the freedom to buy what they need. For instance, some women said they could buy medicines if a family member was ill,” Dikshit said.
It is said that about 13,300 people will benefit from the scheme with immediate effect. The government has set a target to register a total of two lakh beneficiaries.
However, as per reports many of the beneficiaries who were present at the venue said that rations for families with five to seven members would come for Rs 1000-Rs 3000. One Maya Devi was quoted by the newspaper as saying – The amount of Rs 600 was nothing but a ‘sahara’ (support). Another woman, Ganga Devi was quoted as saying that she spends Rs 3000 on rations every month for a family of seven.
While on the one hand the UPA believes that the cash subsidy scheme will be a game changer, experts feel that the Rs 600 subsidy will have to be increased over time The scheme is aimed to empower the eldest woman of the beneficiary family where the subsidy will be delivered every month based on the Aadhar-UID number as identity proof.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Watch: Behind-the-scenes 'Trip' of 'Udta Punjab' will make you more impatient for its release
- Separatist leaders in Kashmir join hands against colonies for Pandits
- Five reasons you should stop eating bread!
- Do you know who is Virat Kohli's first love? No, it's not Anushka Sharma!
- Bihar Board 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Biharboard.bih.nic.in & biharboard.ac.in BSEB Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Exam Results 2016 to be announced shortly