SAD (Badal) wins DSGMC polls
New Delhi: Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) supported by BJP on Wednesday won the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC) elections.
As per the final results, SAD (Badal) bagged 23 out of the total 46 seats, while Akali Dal (Delhi) of Paramjit Singh Sarna was declared winner in five seats.
Elections to DSGMC, the powerful body of the Sikh community, were held on Sunday and a total of 265 candidates were in the fray out of which four were women.
With the Sikh vote being a key factor in several areas in the city, the result of the polls assume significance in view of Assembly polls in Delhi later this year.
Other than SAD (Delhi) and SAD (Badal), Kendriya Guru Singh Sabha and Dashmesh Seva Society also contested the elections.
DSGMC, an autonomous organisation, comprises of 51 members -- 46 elected and five nominated.
The body manages Sikh shrines, various educational institutions, hospitals, old-age homes, libraries and other charitable institutions in the national capital.
Around 42 per cent voters out of 4.12 lakh registered voters had cast their votes in the elections.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price