SAD (Badal) wins DSGMC polls
New Delhi: Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) supported by BJP on Wednesday won the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC) elections.
As per the final results, SAD (Badal) bagged 23 out of the total 46 seats, while Akali Dal (Delhi) of Paramjit Singh Sarna was declared winner in five seats.
Elections to DSGMC, the powerful body of the Sikh community, were held on Sunday and a total of 265 candidates were in the fray out of which four were women.
With the Sikh vote being a key factor in several areas in the city, the result of the polls assume significance in view of Assembly polls in Delhi later this year.
Other than SAD (Delhi) and SAD (Badal), Kendriya Guru Singh Sabha and Dashmesh Seva Society also contested the elections.
DSGMC, an autonomous organisation, comprises of 51 members -- 46 elected and five nominated.
The body manages Sikh shrines, various educational institutions, hospitals, old-age homes, libraries and other charitable institutions in the national capital.
Around 42 per cent voters out of 4.12 lakh registered voters had cast their votes in the elections.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!