SAD (Badal) wins DSGMC polls
New Delhi: Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) supported by BJP on Wednesday won the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC) elections.
As per the final results, SAD (Badal) bagged 23 out of the total 46 seats, while Akali Dal (Delhi) of Paramjit Singh Sarna was declared winner in five seats.
Elections to DSGMC, the powerful body of the Sikh community, were held on Sunday and a total of 265 candidates were in the fray out of which four were women.
With the Sikh vote being a key factor in several areas in the city, the result of the polls assume significance in view of Assembly polls in Delhi later this year.
Other than SAD (Delhi) and SAD (Badal), Kendriya Guru Singh Sabha and Dashmesh Seva Society also contested the elections.
DSGMC, an autonomous organisation, comprises of 51 members -- 46 elected and five nominated.
The body manages Sikh shrines, various educational institutions, hospitals, old-age homes, libraries and other charitable institutions in the national capital.
Around 42 per cent voters out of 4.12 lakh registered voters had cast their votes in the elections.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India