SAD (Badal) wins DSGMC polls
New Delhi: Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) supported by BJP on Wednesday won the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC) elections.
As per the final results, SAD (Badal) bagged 23 out of the total 46 seats, while Akali Dal (Delhi) of Paramjit Singh Sarna was declared winner in five seats.
Elections to DSGMC, the powerful body of the Sikh community, were held on Sunday and a total of 265 candidates were in the fray out of which four were women.
With the Sikh vote being a key factor in several areas in the city, the result of the polls assume significance in view of Assembly polls in Delhi later this year.
Other than SAD (Delhi) and SAD (Badal), Kendriya Guru Singh Sabha and Dashmesh Seva Society also contested the elections.
DSGMC, an autonomous organisation, comprises of 51 members -- 46 elected and five nominated.
The body manages Sikh shrines, various educational institutions, hospitals, old-age homes, libraries and other charitable institutions in the national capital.
Around 42 per cent voters out of 4.12 lakh registered voters had cast their votes in the elections.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!