‘Service tax is a cruel joke on the common man’
New Delhi: The BJP on Sunday termed imposition of
12 per cent service tax as a cruel joke on the common man and
said it will further lead to "unprecedented price rise".
"By imposing 12 per cent service tax, the government has
broken the back of the common man. Imposition of service tax
is a cruel joke. The government has put an extra burden of
whopping Rs 45,000 crore on the ordinary people," said Vijay
Kumar Malhotra, BJP`s leader of opposition in Delhi Assembly.
He said everything from railway fare to air travel,
eating out, going on a holiday, insurance policy, electricity,
cheque, draft, cement, branded garments, gold, tents for
marriages and other celebrations would now cost more.
Malhotra, who is also the chairman of the BJP`s election
campaign committee for the upcoming MCD elections, said it
would lead to unprecedented price rise and alleged that the
government was depriving the common man of a decent living.
"Already the prices of vegetables, fruits and other
household goods has jumped many folds, leaving the lower and
middle class families bewildered and shocked. They are finding
it hard to make both ends meet," Malhotra said.
The BJP leader alleged that the "ineffective" government
has totally failed to check the price rise.
He appealed to the voters to teach a lesson to Congress
by rejecting it in the MCD elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- AAP dares rebel leader Dharamvira Gandhi to resign as MP
- Deepika Padukone to join hands with Indian Psychiatric Society to promote mental health
- Injured Aaron Ramsey not in Chris Coleman's Wales squad
- Banks to auction Kingfisher Airlines brands again on Thursday at lower price
- Delhi Assembly ratifies "big reform" GST Bill