‘Service tax is a cruel joke on the common man’
New Delhi: The BJP on Sunday termed imposition of
12 per cent service tax as a cruel joke on the common man and
said it will further lead to "unprecedented price rise".
"By imposing 12 per cent service tax, the government has
broken the back of the common man. Imposition of service tax
is a cruel joke. The government has put an extra burden of
whopping Rs 45,000 crore on the ordinary people," said Vijay
Kumar Malhotra, BJP`s leader of opposition in Delhi Assembly.
He said everything from railway fare to air travel,
eating out, going on a holiday, insurance policy, electricity,
cheque, draft, cement, branded garments, gold, tents for
marriages and other celebrations would now cost more.
Malhotra, who is also the chairman of the BJP`s election
campaign committee for the upcoming MCD elections, said it
would lead to unprecedented price rise and alleged that the
government was depriving the common man of a decent living.
"Already the prices of vegetables, fruits and other
household goods has jumped many folds, leaving the lower and
middle class families bewildered and shocked. They are finding
it hard to make both ends meet," Malhotra said.
The BJP leader alleged that the "ineffective" government
has totally failed to check the price rise.
He appealed to the voters to teach a lesson to Congress
by rejecting it in the MCD elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- AAP bats for 'Annual Statewide Corruption Index' to curb graft
- Woman quits job to become full-time Pokemon Go player
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh moves HC seeking stay on his arrest
- Goa CM orders enquiry over criminal's ''murder'' in prison
- Flight 370: With search suspended, a cold-case file awaits