Sheila Dikshit slams Delhi BJP chief over dismissal demand
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Sunday came down hard on Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel for demanding her sacking over law and order situation, saying he "does not have a clue" about the administrative system as it is not her government but Union Home Ministry which is responsible for the city police.
"What surprised me is the absence of knowledge about governance system of Delhi in no lesser person than the Delhi BJP Chief. It appears that he does not have any clue about administrative structure in Delhi.... I have my sympathies with him for his absence of knowledge," Dikshit said.
A delegation of Delhi BJP leaders led by Goel yesterday had met President Pranab Mukherjee and demanded dismissal of the Delhi government on the grounds of "deteriorating" law and order situation in the city.
"Goel demanded dismissal of Delhi Government on the issue of law and order situation. The Police functions under Home Ministry. On what basis he sought dismissal of my Government," the Chief Minister told PTI.
Rejecting Goel`s criticism of her government on law and order situation, Dikshit said he will not be able to mislead the people as they were aware about the issue.
"Goel was a member of the Parliament. He was part of the Prime Minister`s office during NDA regime. He ought to know that law and order does not come under purview of Delhi Government," she said.
"Let him criticise me. He has right to criticise me. But there must be basis for criticism. The President of India knows about the administrative structure in Delhi," she said.
Asked about Goel`s criticism that she was not very serious about demanding removal of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the wake of the December 16 gangrape, Dikshit said she had taken a very "strong position" and sought concrete steps to improve the law and order situation in the city.
"I had said at that time that it was not enough to remove a couple of cops. We have to take certain serious action. We have to restore confidence of people shattered by the brutal incident," Dikshit said.
Critical of functioning of police, the Chief Minister had demanded removal of the police commissioner after the gruesome incident which evoked widespread protests across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what