Sheila Dikshit slams Delhi BJP chief over dismissal demand
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Sunday came down hard on Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel for demanding her sacking over law and order situation, saying he "does not have a clue" about the administrative system as it is not her government but Union Home Ministry which is responsible for the city police.
"What surprised me is the absence of knowledge about governance system of Delhi in no lesser person than the Delhi BJP Chief. It appears that he does not have any clue about administrative structure in Delhi.... I have my sympathies with him for his absence of knowledge," Dikshit said.
A delegation of Delhi BJP leaders led by Goel yesterday had met President Pranab Mukherjee and demanded dismissal of the Delhi government on the grounds of "deteriorating" law and order situation in the city.
"Goel demanded dismissal of Delhi Government on the issue of law and order situation. The Police functions under Home Ministry. On what basis he sought dismissal of my Government," the Chief Minister told PTI.
Rejecting Goel`s criticism of her government on law and order situation, Dikshit said he will not be able to mislead the people as they were aware about the issue.
"Goel was a member of the Parliament. He was part of the Prime Minister`s office during NDA regime. He ought to know that law and order does not come under purview of Delhi Government," she said.
"Let him criticise me. He has right to criticise me. But there must be basis for criticism. The President of India knows about the administrative structure in Delhi," she said.
Asked about Goel`s criticism that she was not very serious about demanding removal of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the wake of the December 16 gangrape, Dikshit said she had taken a very "strong position" and sought concrete steps to improve the law and order situation in the city.
"I had said at that time that it was not enough to remove a couple of cops. We have to take certain serious action. We have to restore confidence of people shattered by the brutal incident," Dikshit said.
Critical of functioning of police, the Chief Minister had demanded removal of the police commissioner after the gruesome incident which evoked widespread protests across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared