Sheila Dikshit slams Delhi BJP chief over dismissal demand
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Sunday came down hard on Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel for demanding her sacking over law and order situation, saying he "does not have a clue" about the administrative system as it is not her government but Union Home Ministry which is responsible for the city police.
"What surprised me is the absence of knowledge about governance system of Delhi in no lesser person than the Delhi BJP Chief. It appears that he does not have any clue about administrative structure in Delhi.... I have my sympathies with him for his absence of knowledge," Dikshit said.
A delegation of Delhi BJP leaders led by Goel yesterday had met President Pranab Mukherjee and demanded dismissal of the Delhi government on the grounds of "deteriorating" law and order situation in the city.
"Goel demanded dismissal of Delhi Government on the issue of law and order situation. The Police functions under Home Ministry. On what basis he sought dismissal of my Government," the Chief Minister told PTI.
Rejecting Goel`s criticism of her government on law and order situation, Dikshit said he will not be able to mislead the people as they were aware about the issue.
"Goel was a member of the Parliament. He was part of the Prime Minister`s office during NDA regime. He ought to know that law and order does not come under purview of Delhi Government," she said.
"Let him criticise me. He has right to criticise me. But there must be basis for criticism. The President of India knows about the administrative structure in Delhi," she said.
Asked about Goel`s criticism that she was not very serious about demanding removal of Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the wake of the December 16 gangrape, Dikshit said she had taken a very "strong position" and sought concrete steps to improve the law and order situation in the city.
"I had said at that time that it was not enough to remove a couple of cops. We have to take certain serious action. We have to restore confidence of people shattered by the brutal incident," Dikshit said.
Critical of functioning of police, the Chief Minister had demanded removal of the police commissioner after the gruesome incident which evoked widespread protests across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues