Sheila Dikshit targets to make Delhi a clean city
New Delhi: After making the national capital one of the greenest metros in the world, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday set another target -- making the city clean.
Commending the people for their initiatives to make the Capital one of the greenest cities in the world, she said, "Delhi`s next aim should be to be the cleanest. It was because of the peoples` initiatives that Delhi became the green capital and now it was up to the Delhiites to make it a clean city."
Delivering her Independence Day speech here after hoisting the Tricolour, Dikshit outlined her priorities for the city which included infrastructure development, improving educational standards and helping the budding sports persons.
To ease traffic, she said her government wanted to build monorails in the city like the ones in Japan and Singapore. The plan for constructing a mono-rail network in east Delhi has been recently approved by the Delhi Cabinet.
Referring to her meeting last month with Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, she said an agreement has been signed with Singapore government to set up an institute for skill development.
Asserting that children here should be an example for others from across the country, she asserted that providing education to every child was foremost in her mind and for this her government would provide schools with all the required facilities.
Acknowledging wrestler Sushil Kumar`s Olympic feat, she said the city government will provide all the required facilities and basic infrastructure to budding sports persons.
"The entire nation is proud of Sushil`s achievements and it is in this stadium that Sushil trained," she added.
The Chief Minister also said that Delhi government had earmarked 65 per cent of the total budget for the social sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say