Sheila Dikshit targets to make Delhi a clean city
New Delhi: After making the national capital one of the greenest metros in the world, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday set another target -- making the city clean.
Commending the people for their initiatives to make the Capital one of the greenest cities in the world, she said, "Delhi`s next aim should be to be the cleanest. It was because of the peoples` initiatives that Delhi became the green capital and now it was up to the Delhiites to make it a clean city."
Delivering her Independence Day speech here after hoisting the Tricolour, Dikshit outlined her priorities for the city which included infrastructure development, improving educational standards and helping the budding sports persons.
To ease traffic, she said her government wanted to build monorails in the city like the ones in Japan and Singapore. The plan for constructing a mono-rail network in east Delhi has been recently approved by the Delhi Cabinet.
Referring to her meeting last month with Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, she said an agreement has been signed with Singapore government to set up an institute for skill development.
Asserting that children here should be an example for others from across the country, she asserted that providing education to every child was foremost in her mind and for this her government would provide schools with all the required facilities.
Acknowledging wrestler Sushil Kumar`s Olympic feat, she said the city government will provide all the required facilities and basic infrastructure to budding sports persons.
"The entire nation is proud of Sushil`s achievements and it is in this stadium that Sushil trained," she added.
The Chief Minister also said that Delhi government had earmarked 65 per cent of the total budget for the social sector.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way