Sheila Dikshit targets to make Delhi a clean city
New Delhi: After making the national capital one of the greenest metros in the world, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday set another target -- making the city clean.
Commending the people for their initiatives to make the Capital one of the greenest cities in the world, she said, "Delhi`s next aim should be to be the cleanest. It was because of the peoples` initiatives that Delhi became the green capital and now it was up to the Delhiites to make it a clean city."
Delivering her Independence Day speech here after hoisting the Tricolour, Dikshit outlined her priorities for the city which included infrastructure development, improving educational standards and helping the budding sports persons.
To ease traffic, she said her government wanted to build monorails in the city like the ones in Japan and Singapore. The plan for constructing a mono-rail network in east Delhi has been recently approved by the Delhi Cabinet.
Referring to her meeting last month with Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, she said an agreement has been signed with Singapore government to set up an institute for skill development.
Asserting that children here should be an example for others from across the country, she asserted that providing education to every child was foremost in her mind and for this her government would provide schools with all the required facilities.
Acknowledging wrestler Sushil Kumar`s Olympic feat, she said the city government will provide all the required facilities and basic infrastructure to budding sports persons.
"The entire nation is proud of Sushil`s achievements and it is in this stadium that Sushil trained," she added.
The Chief Minister also said that Delhi government had earmarked 65 per cent of the total budget for the social sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi