Six dead, 500 ill after drinking water in Ghaziabad
Ghaziabad: Six people died and at least 500 people fell seriously ill after drinking contaminated ground water in the Loni area of Ghaziabad, officials said Friday.
Hospital and police officials said that residents of Prem Nagar here complained of drowsiness and fell unconscious after drinking tap water Thursday. Some of them began vomitting.
Six people died within hours of treatment while about 500 were still being treated.
"In some places the water and sewer pipelines are broken and the water from them has got mixed," said Ghaziabad District Magistrate S.B.S. Ranga Rao.
"Not only Loni, entire Ghaziabad is sitting on a death-bed. Hard metals from industrial units have contaminated the entire water table, rendering ground water unfit for domestic use," said Akash Vashishtha, an anti-pollution activist of Hindustan Environment Action Group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!
- Syrian base used by Russia damaged in IS attack: Report
- Those who don''t gossip could become saints, says Pope
- Mafia don's calls: Maharashtra minister hits back at AAP