Six dead, 500 ill after drinking water in Ghaziabad
Ghaziabad: Six people died and at least 500 people fell seriously ill after drinking contaminated ground water in the Loni area of Ghaziabad, officials said Friday.
Hospital and police officials said that residents of Prem Nagar here complained of drowsiness and fell unconscious after drinking tap water Thursday. Some of them began vomitting.
Six people died within hours of treatment while about 500 were still being treated.
"In some places the water and sewer pipelines are broken and the water from them has got mixed," said Ghaziabad District Magistrate S.B.S. Ranga Rao.
"Not only Loni, entire Ghaziabad is sitting on a death-bed. Hard metals from industrial units have contaminated the entire water table, rendering ground water unfit for domestic use," said Akash Vashishtha, an anti-pollution activist of Hindustan Environment Action Group.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed