Sr lawyer Krishnan named Special Public Prosecutor in gang-rape case
New Delhi: Supreme Court lawyer Dayan Krishnan has been appointed as the special public prosecutor by city police to conduct trial in the December 16 gang rape of a paramedical student who succumbed to injuries during wee hours of Saturday at a Singapore hospital.
"It is Dayan Krishnan, an eminent lawyer...He has volunteered to do it free of cost. He will be assisted by two juniors," Dharmendra Kumar, Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order), told PTI.
The senior police officer said the harshest punishment would be sought against five accused during the trial after filing the charge sheet by January 3.
The sixth accused is a juvenile and would be tried separately at Juvenile Justice Board.
"We hope to file the charge sheet by January 3, 2013. Section 302 of the IPC, which is the penal section for murder, has been added in the FIR," Kumar said, adding, "It will be our endeavor to ensure the harshest punishment in the book for the culprits."
Police have slapped murder charges as well as sections 201 (destruction of evidence), 365 (kidnapping or abducting), 376 (2)(g) (gang rape), 377 (unnatural offences), 394 (hurting in committing robbery) and 34 (common intention) of IPC against the accused.
The special prosecutor would conduct the trial in a fast track court on day-to-day basis.
Later talking to PTI, Krishnan said, "I had given my consent to conduct the trial."
Krishnan has been representing NIA, Delhi Police and other agencies at various judicial fora in many cases including the Nitish Katara murder case.
The girl, who died today at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore owing to mutiple organ failure, was gangraped, assaulted and then dumped in south Delhi by six persons on the night of December 16.
She and her male friend had boarded the bus at Munirka around 9.45 pm on the fateful night after watching a movie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city