Sr lawyer Krishnan named Special Public Prosecutor in gang-rape case
New Delhi: Supreme Court lawyer Dayan Krishnan has been appointed as the special public prosecutor by city police to conduct trial in the December 16 gang rape of a paramedical student who succumbed to injuries during wee hours of Saturday at a Singapore hospital.
"It is Dayan Krishnan, an eminent lawyer...He has volunteered to do it free of cost. He will be assisted by two juniors," Dharmendra Kumar, Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order), told PTI.
The senior police officer said the harshest punishment would be sought against five accused during the trial after filing the charge sheet by January 3.
The sixth accused is a juvenile and would be tried separately at Juvenile Justice Board.
"We hope to file the charge sheet by January 3, 2013. Section 302 of the IPC, which is the penal section for murder, has been added in the FIR," Kumar said, adding, "It will be our endeavor to ensure the harshest punishment in the book for the culprits."
Police have slapped murder charges as well as sections 201 (destruction of evidence), 365 (kidnapping or abducting), 376 (2)(g) (gang rape), 377 (unnatural offences), 394 (hurting in committing robbery) and 34 (common intention) of IPC against the accused.
The special prosecutor would conduct the trial in a fast track court on day-to-day basis.
Later talking to PTI, Krishnan said, "I had given my consent to conduct the trial."
Krishnan has been representing NIA, Delhi Police and other agencies at various judicial fora in many cases including the Nitish Katara murder case.
The girl, who died today at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore owing to mutiple organ failure, was gangraped, assaulted and then dumped in south Delhi by six persons on the night of December 16.
She and her male friend had boarded the bus at Munirka around 9.45 pm on the fateful night after watching a movie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC