`Tantrik` jailed for cheating woman, outraging her modesty
New Delhi: A Delhi court has sentenced a self-styled tantrik to three years in jail for cheating and outraging the modesty of a woman.
Metropolitan magistrate Kiran Gupta sentenced Harsh, a father of four minor children, to three years in jail for cheating a 26-year-old woman inducing her to part with her money to perform prayers and assaulting her on the pretext of curing her husband`s alcoholism.
Holding Harsh guilty of cheating, the court said, "In the present case accused represented that he has divine powers and made complainant to believe that he can solve her problem and induced her to pay money for performing pujas and also caused threat in her mind that there is likelihood of threat to her life and that of her family if puja is not performed."
The court expressed "shock" at such incidents saying, "It is ironical that being educated and part of civilised society, people get swayed by false claims of these self-acclaimed tantriks/babas."
Harsh used to run a small office in Patel Nagar and frequently give advertisements in newspapers claiming to solve issues like extra-marital affairs through his divine powers.
On seeing one such advertisement, the complainant visited him June 6, 2011 and discussed his husband`s alcoholism. Harsh advised her to perform a ritual and took Rs 2,700 from her. Finding no change in her husband`s behaviour, she again met Harsh, who took Rs 17,000 from her to perform another prayer.
With no positive change in her married life, the woman visited Harsh on June 21, 2011. While she was waiting, Harsh asked her to establish physical relations with him in order to cure her husband. He started unclothing himself and misbehaved with her on which she raised an alarm and police was called.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow