Three cops suspended in five-year-old girl’s rape case
New Delhi: Two Delhi Police officials were suspended for "misbehaving" with the family of the five-year-old rape victim, while an assistant commissioner of police (ACP) was suspended for slapping a girl protestor, said police Friday.
"Dharampal Singh, SHO (station house officer) of Gandhi Nagar police station where the victim`s missing person`s report was registered April 15, and the initial investigating officer of the case Mahavir Singh, a sub-inspector (SI), were suspended with immediate effect Friday," said Deputy Commissioner of Police Prabhakar.
"Apart from the vigilance inquiry, a departmental inquiry has also been ordered against the SHO and the SI. The inquiry will ascertain the allegation of the victim`s family that the officials misbehaved with them when they approached Gandhi Nagar police station to register the case," he said.
"Their roles in not handling the case properly will also be probed," Prabhakar said.
The joint commissioner of Delhi Police (vigilance) has been asked to conduct an inquiry and submit a report within 24 hours to the Delhi police commissioner.
An ACP was Friday suspended for slapping a 17-year-old girl protester, who was trying to meet the five-year-old rape victim at a hospital here.
ACP Bani Singh Ahlawat, posted at Khajuri Khas area of east Delhi, was suspended with immediate effect for slapping and pushing Beenu Rawat, a class 12 student, said a senior police officer.
Rawat, a resident of east Delhi`s Shahdara, was trying to enter the emergency ward of the Swami Dayanand hospital when she was assaulted by the ACP.
"Blood was oozing from Rawat`s ear after the assault," said a police officer.
The five-year-old girl was abducted April 15 and kept hostage for two days without food and water in a flat owned by the 25-year-old attacker Manoj Kumar. He lived on the ground floor of the building in east Delhi`s Gandhi Nagar, in which the victim`s family also stayed, police said.
The girl, who was raped repeatedly, was rescued when members of her family heard her screams Wednesday evening, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez