Traders openly flout ban on plastic bags in Delhi
New Delhi: Over two months after a blanket ban on use of plastic bags was imposed, traders across the national capital have been flouting it, thanks to slack enforcement and lack of a cost effective alternative.
The Delhi government had imposed a blanket ban on manufacture, sale, storage and use of plastic bags on November 24 and had warned the violators of stiff penalty including imprisonment up to five years as per provision of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986,
Officials in the Environment department, which was tasked to enforce the ban in cooperation with civic agencies, said shortage of enforcement staff and resistance from local politicians have come in the way of enforcing the ban.
"We are not being able to enforce the ban due to shortage of manpower," they said.
However they claimed most of the shopping malls and retail chains have already stopped giving plastic bags to their customers.
When asked, representatives of various market associations said "government`s failure" to provide a cost effective alternative to plastic bag has forced the retail traders to continue using it.
"The paper bags and jute bags are costly. We can use them but then the customer will have to pay for it," said a trader.
The government had also banned use of plastic cover or pouch to pack magazines, invitation cards and greeting cards.
As per the government order, no person including shopkeepers, vendors, wholesalers, retailers and hawkers will be allowed to sell, store or use plastic carry bags for supply of any goods.
Plastic carry bags for use, as specified under the BioMedical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 1998, was not covered under the ban.
The Delhi Government had in October even ordered traders involved in production of plastic bags to dismantle their manufacturing facilities. The manufacturers had gone to Delhi High Court challenging the notification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'