Two other convicts of Delhi gang-rape case also entitled to Hindi copies: HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday said other convicts in the December 16 gang-rape are also entitled for the relief granted by the Supreme Court, which had directed supply Hindi translations of case documents to two of the four death-row convicts for hearing of their appeals.
Taking note that the apex court had yesterday allowed the supply of translated documents to Mukesh and Pawan, the High Court said, "in all fairness, they (Vinay and Akshay) are also entitled to receive Hindi translation of the documents."
"The Special Public Prosecutor apprises the court that the Supreme Court has granted the prayer of the appellants Pawan and Mukesh for Hindi translation of the judgement, Order on Sentence, Statement of Prosecution Witnesses, Defence Witnesses, exhibits and statement under section 313 CrPC (statement of accused)," a bench of justices Reva Khetrapal and Pratibha Rani said.
"We are also informed that the aforesaid two appellants have been permitted to file additional grounds of appeal.
"In view of aforesaid, we are of the opinion that the appellant Vinay and Akshay should also in all fairness be entitled to be furnished with Hindi translation of aforesaid documents and should also be given liberty to file additional grounds of appeal within time granted by the Supreme Court," the bench said.
The high court posted the matter for hearing on November 25 by which the prosecution will furnish Hindi translation of the aforesaid documents within the time frame allocated by the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court had yesterday in its order on appeal by counsel for Mukesh and Pawan, advocate M L Sharma asked the High Court not to rush through with the hearing of the death reference and appeals in case and directed the prosecution to supply the copies of judgement and other trial records in Hindi to the convicts in 10 days.
The High Court had yesterday expressed its displeasure at the continued absence of Sharma before it to extend arguments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter