Two other convicts of Delhi gang-rape case also entitled to Hindi copies: HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday said other convicts in the December 16 gang-rape are also entitled for the relief granted by the Supreme Court, which had directed supply Hindi translations of case documents to two of the four death-row convicts for hearing of their appeals.
Taking note that the apex court had yesterday allowed the supply of translated documents to Mukesh and Pawan, the High Court said, "in all fairness, they (Vinay and Akshay) are also entitled to receive Hindi translation of the documents."
"The Special Public Prosecutor apprises the court that the Supreme Court has granted the prayer of the appellants Pawan and Mukesh for Hindi translation of the judgement, Order on Sentence, Statement of Prosecution Witnesses, Defence Witnesses, exhibits and statement under section 313 CrPC (statement of accused)," a bench of justices Reva Khetrapal and Pratibha Rani said.
"We are also informed that the aforesaid two appellants have been permitted to file additional grounds of appeal.
"In view of aforesaid, we are of the opinion that the appellant Vinay and Akshay should also in all fairness be entitled to be furnished with Hindi translation of aforesaid documents and should also be given liberty to file additional grounds of appeal within time granted by the Supreme Court," the bench said.
The high court posted the matter for hearing on November 25 by which the prosecution will furnish Hindi translation of the aforesaid documents within the time frame allocated by the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court had yesterday in its order on appeal by counsel for Mukesh and Pawan, advocate M L Sharma asked the High Court not to rush through with the hearing of the death reference and appeals in case and directed the prosecution to supply the copies of judgement and other trial records in Hindi to the convicts in 10 days.
The High Court had yesterday expressed its displeasure at the continued absence of Sharma before it to extend arguments.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!