VIP security in Delhi to be trimmed: Shinde
New Delhi: VIP security in Delhi will be trimmed very soon following a directive from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde has said.
"The Prime Minister and (the Congress President) Soniaji told me about trimming VIP security 2-3 days ago and I have asked the Home Secretary to look into it," he told Rajat Sharma in India TV show `Aaap Ki Adalat`
Shinde said the committee in the Home Ministry which looks into the issue of VIP security is presently studying the proposal, according to a press release issued by the channel.
"I can only promise that VIP security will be trimmed very soon (Jaldi Kam ho jayega)," he said.
Shinde said out of the 86,000 Delhi Police personnel, nearly 7,000 policemen are deployed for VIP security.
"Out of this, 2,500 policemen are deployed for security of Z-Plus category VIPs and the rest for security of High Courts and vital installations," he said.
The Home Minister said all rape cases cannot be considered as rarest of rare cases but the gang rape of a 23-year-old girl in Delhi on December 16 could be considered as rarest of rare case.
Asked whether he would recommend to the President for commuting death sentences to rapists, Shinde said "So long as I am in this chair, I will never recommend such a thing to the President".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail