We are disappointed with the MCD results: Sibal
New Delhi: Putting a brave front after the poor showing by the Congress in Delhi municipal elections, union minister Kapil Sibal said that the party was ‘disappointed’ that they were left with virtually the same numbers that they had last time.
Talking to a TV channel the senior Congress leader said on Tuesday, “If you ask me is the Congress happy than I would say no.” “We could have done better”, he added. Nonetheless Sibal sought to downplay the MCD results saying that in the local elections the politics of the street and local factors count. “Municipal elections are local elections. I don’t think national issues impact local elections.”
Earlier, another Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi had also said that today’s it should be seen only as civic polls. "Last time BJP had won the MCD polls but Congress came to power in Assembly. Congress even went on to win all the seven Parliament seats. MCD polls should be seen only as MCD polls," he said.
Meanwhile the Bhartiya Janata Party is naturally euphoric at the local election results in Delhi. BJP National Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu said that corruption and price rise were the main reasons for Congress` rout and his party`s victory. "It is a BJP win. Good governance of BJP in MCD polls, corruption by Congress and price rise are the three main issues for the rout of Congress party," Naidu said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state