We are disappointed with the MCD results: Sibal
New Delhi: Putting a brave front after the poor showing by the Congress in Delhi municipal elections, union minister Kapil Sibal said that the party was ‘disappointed’ that they were left with virtually the same numbers that they had last time.
Talking to a TV channel the senior Congress leader said on Tuesday, “If you ask me is the Congress happy than I would say no.” “We could have done better”, he added. Nonetheless Sibal sought to downplay the MCD results saying that in the local elections the politics of the street and local factors count. “Municipal elections are local elections. I don’t think national issues impact local elections.”
Earlier, another Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi had also said that today’s it should be seen only as civic polls. "Last time BJP had won the MCD polls but Congress came to power in Assembly. Congress even went on to win all the seven Parliament seats. MCD polls should be seen only as MCD polls," he said.
Meanwhile the Bhartiya Janata Party is naturally euphoric at the local election results in Delhi. BJP National Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu said that corruption and price rise were the main reasons for Congress` rout and his party`s victory. "It is a BJP win. Good governance of BJP in MCD polls, corruption by Congress and price rise are the three main issues for the rout of Congress party," Naidu said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg