Women helpline `181` finally gets working
New Delhi: Having embarrassed Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit after a launch marred by snags, women helpline ‘181’ finally started working as a ‘hello’ in human voice gave way to long beep sound on the other end of the phone.
The much awaited helpline number ‘181’ that was launched yesterday turned out to be a disappointing affair as the snag-hit service couldn’t connect callers to the other side.
But the helpline seems to be working now as a reporter tried the number live on CNN-IBN and was answered with a ‘hello’ though the response took a time much longer than expected.
In wake of the increasing outrage and protests against the heinous act of Dec 16 gang-rape, a round-the-clock women helpline was launched by Delhi government as one of the measures to abate crimes against women.
Senior Delhi Government officials said the helpline could not be made functional yesterday due to some glitches in the MTNL network.
They said the helpline, which will operate from the Chief Minister`s office in Delhi Secretariat, can be contacted from landlines as well as mobile phones. The helpline will be connected with all the 185 police stations across the city.
The Telecom Ministry had last week released the three-digit number following a request by Dikshit. It will be the first three-digit number to have been allotted by the Ministry in two years.
The Ministry had earlier allotted `167` for the helpline but upon request for a number that would be easier to remember, the number was changed to `181`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015