Youth jailed for 7 yrs for robbery, murder bid in
New Delhi: A Delhi court has sentenced a 24-year-old youth to seven years in jail for stabbing a bus passenger and robbing him Rs 3,550 over 11 years ago.
While jailing Rohini resident Ravi Azad for seven years, Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Umed Singh Grewal also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on him.
"Keeping in mind all facts and circumstances, the convict (Azad) is sentenced to undergo rigorous imprisonment for seven years," the court said.
The prosecution had said Azad along with another Rohini resident had on March 3, 2001 boarded a crowded bus and robbed Saurabh Prajapati of Rs 3,550.
The duo stood near Prajapati, while Azad suddenly took out a knife, kept it at the victim`s waist and asked him give him whatever he has in his pocket without raising alarm, the prosecution said.
Prajapati, however, raised alarm while Azad was taking out the money from his pocket, prompting the accused to stab him in his waist and hand.
As the bus slowed down, both the assailants, jumped out of the bus and tried to flee, but Azad was nabbed after a chase by fellow passengers, while the other accused managed to run away.
While sentencing the convict, the court said the prosecution has successfully proved the case of robbery with an attempt to cause death with a deadly weapon.
The prosecution had sought maximum punishment for Azad, terming him as threat to the society at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next