Youth jailed for 7 yrs for robbery, murder bid in
New Delhi: A Delhi court has sentenced a 24-year-old youth to seven years in jail for stabbing a bus passenger and robbing him Rs 3,550 over 11 years ago.
While jailing Rohini resident Ravi Azad for seven years, Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Umed Singh Grewal also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on him.
"Keeping in mind all facts and circumstances, the convict (Azad) is sentenced to undergo rigorous imprisonment for seven years," the court said.
The prosecution had said Azad along with another Rohini resident had on March 3, 2001 boarded a crowded bus and robbed Saurabh Prajapati of Rs 3,550.
The duo stood near Prajapati, while Azad suddenly took out a knife, kept it at the victim`s waist and asked him give him whatever he has in his pocket without raising alarm, the prosecution said.
Prajapati, however, raised alarm while Azad was taking out the money from his pocket, prompting the accused to stab him in his waist and hand.
As the bus slowed down, both the assailants, jumped out of the bus and tried to flee, but Azad was nabbed after a chase by fellow passengers, while the other accused managed to run away.
While sentencing the convict, the court said the prosecution has successfully proved the case of robbery with an attempt to cause death with a deadly weapon.
The prosecution had sought maximum punishment for Azad, terming him as threat to the society at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Swiss fighter jet missing, believed crashed: Ministry
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir