Youth jailed for 7 yrs for robbery, murder bid in
New Delhi: A Delhi court has sentenced a 24-year-old youth to seven years in jail for stabbing a bus passenger and robbing him Rs 3,550 over 11 years ago.
While jailing Rohini resident Ravi Azad for seven years, Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Umed Singh Grewal also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on him.
"Keeping in mind all facts and circumstances, the convict (Azad) is sentenced to undergo rigorous imprisonment for seven years," the court said.
The prosecution had said Azad along with another Rohini resident had on March 3, 2001 boarded a crowded bus and robbed Saurabh Prajapati of Rs 3,550.
The duo stood near Prajapati, while Azad suddenly took out a knife, kept it at the victim`s waist and asked him give him whatever he has in his pocket without raising alarm, the prosecution said.
Prajapati, however, raised alarm while Azad was taking out the money from his pocket, prompting the accused to stab him in his waist and hand.
As the bus slowed down, both the assailants, jumped out of the bus and tried to flee, but Azad was nabbed after a chase by fellow passengers, while the other accused managed to run away.
While sentencing the convict, the court said the prosecution has successfully proved the case of robbery with an attempt to cause death with a deadly weapon.
The prosecution had sought maximum punishment for Azad, terming him as threat to the society at large.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know