Chimpanzees learn to mop cage from keepers
Moscow: Chimpanzees in a Russian zoo have learned to clean their cages by watching zookeepers.
A pair of chimpanzees, Yasha and Jessica, grabbed mops, rags and trash bags in order to clean up their two-floor cage on a regular basis, the Udmurtia zoo`s press service said.
Yasha was the first to use the mop, which he "covertly obtained" from the zookeepers. The chimpanzee also took special care to clean the glass walls of its cage, "spitting on them before wiping" them, according to the zoo in the Volga region.
The duo eventually split cleaning duties, with Jessica sweeping the cage`s ground floor and putting trash in the bag and Yasha taking similar care of the upper floor.
However, other species failed to follow suit. Gibbons, mangabeys and de Brazza`s monkeys imitated Yasha and Jessica`s example, but used mops and wiping cloths to hit each other or simply gnawed on them, the zoo said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list