`Chimps can also understand language like humans`
London: If you believe speech perception is a uniquely human trait, think again -- chimpanzees may also have the ability to understand language, says a new study.
The new research with a 25-year-old chimp named "Panzee" showed that the "well-educated" animal can understand over 130 English words and can even recognise words in sine-wave form, a type of synthetic speech that reduces language to three whistle-like tones.
This shows that she isn`t just responding to a particular person`s voice or emotions, but instead she is processing and perceiving speech as humans do, DiscoveryNews reported.
"The results suggest that the common ancestor of chimpanzees and humans may have had the capability to perceive speech-like sounds before the evolution of speech, and that early humans were taking advantage of this latent ability when speech did eventually emerge," lead researcher Lisa Heimbauer, at Georgia State University`s Language Research Centre, said.
For their study, Heimbauer and colleagues tested Panzee on her ability to understand words communicated via sine-wave speech, which replicates the estimated frequency and amplitude patterns of natural utterances.
"Tickle," "M&M," "lemonade," and "sparkler" were just a few of the test words.
Even when the words were stripped of the acoustic constituents of natural speech, Panzee knew what they meant, correctly matching them to corresponding photos.
The findings, presented at the annual meeting of the Acoustical Society of America in San Diego, refute what is known as the "Speech is Special" theory.
"This argument proposes that besides humans being the only species able to produce speech, due to their anatomy, they also have a specialised cognitive module to process
speech," Heimbauer explained.
Supporters of the "Speech is Special" view have pointed to the fact that humans can understand speech, even when it is incomplete or highly distorted.
The alternative view to the hypothesis, she said, is that auditory processing is fundamentally similar across most mammals, and that many animals have latent abilities for speech perception.
"What we are saying is that humans do not need unique cognitive abilities to process speech, and that instead, the general auditory processes that we share with apes, and probably a common ancestor, can be used to accomplish speech perception tasks," she said.
"Panzee then is able to understand speech because of her early experience in a speech-rich environment, and because she was taught about the association between words and their meaning from a very early age."
"These are the same things that allow humans to learn how to understand speech," she said.
There is evidence that non-human primates use specific vocalisations in certain situations, but researchers hesitate in labelling these as being part of a "language."
Nonetheless, the findings suggested that, with education and experience, chimps can become proficient in aspects of human languages, allowing them to communicate certain feelings and desires with us, the researchers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'