Eggshells reveal birds` evolutionary secrets
Sydney: Molecules from eggshells of endangered and extinct birds can tell behaviour and evolutionary history of Australian feathered fauna, reveals a study.
James Haile from Murdoch University, who pioneered the breakthrough technique, said eggshell has been largely overlooked as a source of information, despite its impermeability and resistance to decay, owing largely to the calcium carbonate matrix which acts to protect biomolecules.
Haile says researchers take the eggs of extinct and endangered birds and grind them down before sequencing the DNA to learn new information about these birds, the journal ScienceNetwork WA reported.
"For extinct birds, such as Madagascar`s elephant bird, we extract the DNA and compare that to living birds such as emu, cassowary, ostrich and others -- from that we can see how those birds fit into the broader family tree and at what point they diverged," said Haile, according to a university statement.
"For the endangered birds, we take samples of abandoned eggshells and together with DNA samples from chicks and captive birds develop a population database to get a picture of genetic diversity of the population," he said.
The application of my research can help to identify smuggled eggs coming into Australia and learn more about the behavior of Australia`s endangered birds for conservation strategies, said Haile.
It could even help determine the precise timing of the fragmentation of the supercontinent Gondwana, he said.
"Elephant bird eggs are the largest ever known, bigger than any dinosaur egg, and very resistant to decay. So they`re an ideal but under research source of DNA," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena