EU imposes carbon taxes on airlines
Brussels: The European Union has imposed carbon taxes on airlines in order to combat climate change and the fee has come into force from January 1, 2012.
All airlines flying to EU countries, are now obliged to get permits to cover their carbon emissions for the whole length of a flight, as well as to monitor the emissions and to report.
They will get 85 percent of those permits for free, but the remaining 15 percent should be paid.
The EU has assured that the allocation of greenhouse gas emissions for the airlines will reduce their overall effect by five percent.
According to the European Commission, aviation accounts for about three percent of global carbon emissions.
Experts expect that the introduction of carbon taxes on airlines will lead to an increase in ticket prices for passengers, from two to 12 euros ($2.5 to $15) on medium-range flights, and from four to 24 euros ($5 to $31) on transatlantic flights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry