Great apes make sophisticated choices than assumed
Washington: Chimpanzees, orangutans, gorillas and bonbos make more sophisticated decisions than was previously thought, a new study has suggested.
Max Planck Institutes researchers suggested that great apes weigh their chances of success, based on what they know and the likelihood to succeed when guessing.
The findings may provide insight into human decision-making as well.
The team led by Daniel Haun of the MPI for Psycholinguistics (Nijmegen) and Evolutionary Anthropology (Leipzig), investigated the behaviour of all four non-human great ape species.
The apes were presented with two banana pieces: a smaller one, which was always reliably in the same place, and a larger one, which was hidden under one of multiple cups, and therefore the riskier choice.
The researchers found that the apes’ choices were regulated by their uncertainty and the probability of success for the risky choice, suggesting sophisticated decision-making.
Apes chose the small piece more often when they where uncertain where the large piece was hidden. The lower their chances to guess correctly, the more often they chose the small piece.
The researchers also found that the apes went for the larger piece – and risked getting nothing at all – no less than 50percent of the time.
This risky decision-making increased to nearly 100percent when the size difference between the two banana pieces was largest.
While all four species demonstrated sophisticated decision making strategies, chimpanzees and orangutans were overall more likely to make risky choices relative to gorillas and bonobos.
The precise reason for this discrepancy remains unknown.
“Our study adds to the growing evidence that the mental life of the other great apes is much more sophisticated than is often assumed,” Haun concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY