Human waste to light up bio-toilets
Kolkata: Methane gas generated from human waste could be used to light up bio-toilets developed by scientists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation.
Acting on suggestions made by Union Minister for Rural Development Jairam Ramesh, the premier research agency is now working to provide lighting solution for the convenience of those who will use bio-toilets in darkness.
"We are finding out the means to do it as the rate of production of methane gas will be very small and it will be difficult to concentrate it at one place," DRDO`s head of research and development Dr W Selvamurthy said.
Ramesh had recently inaugurated DRDO`s project at Odisha`s Dhamra coast where they are installing 1000 bio-toilets to prevent open-defecation.
The minister had also asked officials there to increase the width of the eco-friendly toilet, named `E-LOO` by DRDO, and also provide cross-ventilation.
"We will immediately incorporate these two changes in our external structure," the scientist said.
The Rural Development Ministry has announced plans to install these eco-toilets in 1000 gram panchayats with a budget of Rs 400 crore.
The bio-toilets use bio-digester technology wherein a bacteria feeds upon the fecal matter inside the septic tank, through anaerobic process which finally degrades the matter and releases methane gas and water.
"You can use this water for irrigation. We have demonstrated this by cultivating vegetables," Selvamurthy said adding they have found the water to be safe even for animals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir