`Indoor air pollution three times higher than in streets`
London: Using a gas cooker in a stuffy modern kitchen could expose you to higher levels of toxic pollutants than roaming in a smong-filled street, a new study has found.
Researchers from the Sheffield University in the UK found that indoor air pollution in airtight kitchens can be three times more noxious than traffic-choked streets.
And it becomes worse by draft-free energy efficient homes, air fresheners and strong cleaning products, they said.
For the study, published in the Journal of Indoor and Buil Environment, the researchers compared three homes -- a rural house split into two flats and used electric cookers and two other city centre apartments using gas appliances.
The scientists took air quality samples from outside and inside the homes over a four-week period, and found that only very low traces of highly-toxic carbon monoxide in the kitchen of the rural house, but levels were much higher in the flats where the gas ovens were turned on.
The gas cookers were a significant source of nitrogen dioxide, with concentrations in the city centre flat`s kitchen three times higher than those recorded outside the property and well above the limits recommended, they said.
The research focused on pollutants which pose the biggest risks to the elderly and people with cardiovascular problems, including volatile organic compounds and solid particles small enough to penetrate into the lungs.
Professor Vida Sharifi, who led the research, said: "We spend 90 per cent of our time indoors and work hard to make our homes warm, secure and comfortable, but we rarely think about the pollution we might be breathing in.
"Energy is just one source of indoor pollution, but it`s a significant one. And as we make our homes more airtight to reduce heating costs, we are likely to be exposed to higher levels of indoor pollution, with potential impacts on health."
"Concerns about air quality tend to focus on what we breathe outdoors, but as we spend most of our time indoors, we need to understand more about air pollution in our homes.
"Although ours was just a small study, it highlights the need for more research to determine the impact of changing housing and lifestyles on our indoor air quality," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon