New bird species discovered in Peru
Washington: A colourful, fruit-eating bird with a black mask, pale belly and scarlet breast never encountered before has been discovered following an expedition to the remote Peruvian Andes.
The new species was discovered during a 2008 expedition led by Michael G. Harvey, Glenn Seeholzer and Ben Winger, young ornithologists who had recently graduated from Cornell University at the time.
They were accompanied by co-author Daniel Caceres, graduate of the Universidad Nacional de San Agustin in Arequipa, Peru, and local Asheninka guides, the journal The Auk in its latest issue reports.
The team discovered the Sira Barbet, on a ridge in the Cerros del Sira range in the eastern Andes. Steep ridges and deep river gorges in the Andes produce many isolated habitats and microclimates that give rise to uniquely evolved species, according to a Cornell statement.
Though clearly a sister species of the Scarlet-banded Barbet, the Sira Barbet is readily distinguished by differences in colour on the bird`s flanks, lower back and thighs, and a wider, darker scarlet breast band.
The team chose the scientific name of the new species Capito fitzpatricki in honour of Cornell Lab of Ornithology executive director John W. Fitzpatrick, who discovered and named seven new bird species in Peru during the 1970s and `80s.
"Fitz has inspired generations of young ornithologists in scientific discovery and conservation," said Winger. "He was behind us all the way when we presented our plan for this expedition."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees