New bird species discovered in Peru
Washington: A colourful, fruit-eating bird with a black mask, pale belly and scarlet breast never encountered before has been discovered following an expedition to the remote Peruvian Andes.
The new species was discovered during a 2008 expedition led by Michael G. Harvey, Glenn Seeholzer and Ben Winger, young ornithologists who had recently graduated from Cornell University at the time.
They were accompanied by co-author Daniel Caceres, graduate of the Universidad Nacional de San Agustin in Arequipa, Peru, and local Asheninka guides, the journal The Auk in its latest issue reports.
The team discovered the Sira Barbet, on a ridge in the Cerros del Sira range in the eastern Andes. Steep ridges and deep river gorges in the Andes produce many isolated habitats and microclimates that give rise to uniquely evolved species, according to a Cornell statement.
Though clearly a sister species of the Scarlet-banded Barbet, the Sira Barbet is readily distinguished by differences in colour on the bird`s flanks, lower back and thighs, and a wider, darker scarlet breast band.
The team chose the scientific name of the new species Capito fitzpatricki in honour of Cornell Lab of Ornithology executive director John W. Fitzpatrick, who discovered and named seven new bird species in Peru during the 1970s and `80s.
"Fitz has inspired generations of young ornithologists in scientific discovery and conservation," said Winger. "He was behind us all the way when we presented our plan for this expedition."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- This teen daughter of slain Indian Army captain will leave all Muslim-haters red faced – WATCH
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy
- China's top 500 firms report first revenue decline in 15 years
- ONGC hires consultant to assess reserves in GSPC KG gas block
- OMG! Young girl borrows phone from unknown people to send 'mujra' ladies for clients - WATCH what happens next