New bird species discovered in Peru
Washington: A colourful, fruit-eating bird with a black mask, pale belly and scarlet breast never encountered before has been discovered following an expedition to the remote Peruvian Andes.
The new species was discovered during a 2008 expedition led by Michael G. Harvey, Glenn Seeholzer and Ben Winger, young ornithologists who had recently graduated from Cornell University at the time.
They were accompanied by co-author Daniel Caceres, graduate of the Universidad Nacional de San Agustin in Arequipa, Peru, and local Asheninka guides, the journal The Auk in its latest issue reports.
The team discovered the Sira Barbet, on a ridge in the Cerros del Sira range in the eastern Andes. Steep ridges and deep river gorges in the Andes produce many isolated habitats and microclimates that give rise to uniquely evolved species, according to a Cornell statement.
Though clearly a sister species of the Scarlet-banded Barbet, the Sira Barbet is readily distinguished by differences in colour on the bird`s flanks, lower back and thighs, and a wider, darker scarlet breast band.
The team chose the scientific name of the new species Capito fitzpatricki in honour of Cornell Lab of Ornithology executive director John W. Fitzpatrick, who discovered and named seven new bird species in Peru during the 1970s and `80s.
"Fitz has inspired generations of young ornithologists in scientific discovery and conservation," said Winger. "He was behind us all the way when we presented our plan for this expedition."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!