Oldest rock carving of Americas found in Brazil
Sao Paulo: Brazilian archeologist`s have discovered an ancient rock carving they say is at least 10,000 years old, making it the oldest human carving in the Americas.
The claim, detailed in an article in the online scientific journal PLoS ONE, opens the controversial debate over when and how humans populated the Americas.
The 30 centimetre (12 inches) carving is of a man with a "C" shaped head, three fingers per hand and an oversized phallus.
Walter Neves, an archeologist with the Universidad de Sao Paulo and a member of the team that made the discovery, said the rock carving, or petroglyph, could be part of a "cult of fertility."
The ancient work of art was found in 2009 at Lagoa Santa, in central Brazil some 60 kilometres (35 miles) from Belo Horizonte, the capital of Minas Gerais state.
"We can confidently state that the petroglyph is older than 10,500 years, perhaps being as old as 12,000 years, which means that this pecked figure could be the oldest figurative
petroglyph ever found in the New World," the authors, including Neves, wrote in the journal.
The experts based their claim on carbon dating the sediment covering the carving.
The most widely accepted theory is that humans crossed the frozen Bering Strait from Siberia to Alaska some 11,000 years ago and gradually spread south.
The theory, best known as "Clovis First," states that the Clovis people from western north America were the first humans to arrive in the continent some 11,500 years ago.
Neves, a critic of the Clovis First theory, disagrees.
"We have proven a very early human occupation of the American continent. Some 11,000 years ago there was already great symbolic diversity in the continent," he told local media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon