Panda numbers increase in China
Beijing: The number of pandas in the wild has increased from 14 to 41 over the past decade in China`s Shaanxi province, one of the country`s key panda habitats, due to the conservation efforts, said experts.
The increase is attributed to the pandas` improved reproduction and their migration from Xi`an, the provincial capital, to the surrounding areas, forest officials said.
Forest cover in Xi`an has increased from about 384,000 hectares in 2000 to the current about 454,700 hectares, Xinhua quoted the forest bureau as saying.
Pandas in Xi`an belong to Qinling subspecies, which lives in Qinling mountains of Shaanxi province.
Of the 1,600 pandas believed to exist in the wild in China, mostly in Sichuan province, only about 300 are in Qinling.
The government in 2000 restricted timber logging to retain the forest cover for panda conservation. Panda`s diet is 99 percent bamboo. They also eat other grasses and tubers.
Female giant pandas enter osetrus - come "on heat" and ready to mate - once a year, for a mere 2-4 days on average.
Usually they mate in spring and give birth in autumn, especially from August to September. A female giant panda in the wild could have 6 babies in her lifetime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued