PM for greater cooperation between Asia, Africa on climate
New Delhi: Noting that economies of developing countries are impacted by climate change, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today pitched for greater cooperation between Asian and African countries to address short and long term challenges in this regard.
"I believe that in the future we will need to tackle the short term and long term environmental challenges that our economies face," Singh said while addressing the inaugural function of Golden Jubilee Celebrations of Afro-Asian Rural Development Organisation here.
Exhorting the scientists and experts to reflect on suitable technology to address the issue, Singh said, "Our scientists and experts have to reflect on technologies and processes that are most suitable for our rural conditions and circumstances, both in Africa and in Asia."
Underlining the need for African and Asian countries to work jointly, he said, "We have to work together to build a favourable international regime that enables us to access funds and green technologies for rural growth".
On jointly tackling the issue of climate change, he mentioned, "We should put our heads together to work for the best outcomes at the climate change negotiations and the forthcoming Rio+20 conference."
Noting that three quarters of world`s poor live in Asia and Africa, the Prime Minister said, "Rural reconstruction and poverty eradication are fundamental to our plans for sustainable development and inclusive growth."
"In pursuing our common goals, we should draw upon our own knowledge, traditions and wisdom. Our scientists and experts have to reflect on technologies and processes that are most suitable for our rural conditions and circumstances", he said.
He said Afro-Asian Rural Development Organisation has the potential of playing a vital role in "Our collective battle against hunger, disease and despair that afflict large segments of our population."
Singh also stressed India`s full commitment to ideals and objectives of the organisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video