Rajasthan to develop biosphere reserve corridor
Jaipur: The Rajasthan government Wednesday announced that it will develop a biosphere reserve corridor connecting 14 protected sanctuaries in six districts to ensure safe roaming of wild animals like tigers.
The corridor was among the several projects approved by Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot during a cabinet meeting here Wednesday.
"The corridor will be named Rajiv Gandhi Biosphere Reserve. It is a very ambitious project of the state government for protecting wild life animals, especially tigers," an official at the chief minister`s office (CMO) told IANS.
Sanctuaries which will be connected through the corridor include Ramsagar, Van Vihar and Kesarbaag in Dholpur district, Kela Devi in Karauli, Ranthambore National Park, Sawai Man Singh and Sawai Madhopur Sanctuary in Sawai Madhopur, Ramgarh Vishdhari in Bundi, Darra, Jawahar Sagar, National Chambal Sanctuary and Mukundara Hills Sanctuary in Kota, Shergarh in Bundi and Bhainsrorgarh Sanctuary in Chittoragarh district.
He added that due to increasing population of tigers in Ranthambore National Park, incidents of territorial fights and straying of the big cats into human habitats are on the rise.
"The corridor will give the big cats freedom to roam in a bigger area and also provide plenty of prey to them," said the officer.
He added that the corridor will also reduce the possibility of poaching as it will be declared protected.
"Where ever necessary, the villages will be shifted. The animals will be able to roam in different sanctuaries without any threat," said the officer.
The proposal will now be sent to the union environment and forests ministry for its final nod.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31