Reptile with feather-like structures lived before dinosaurs
London: It is believed that birds descended from dinosaurs.
But scientists have now found that a reptile, called Longisquama insignis, that lived 230 to 240 million years ago - just before the dinosaurs evolved - grew what look suspiciously like feathers.
Some palaeontologists said that the only known specimen of Longisquama - found in Kyrgyzstan in the 1960s - was just a run-of-the-mill reptile that died beneath some exotic plant fronds, so the “feathers” were not actually part of the animal.
Another group of researchers said Longisquama’s feathers are real, and suggest that birds evolved from reptiles like this rather than from feathered dinosaurs.
But a new analysis suggests neither theory is correct.
“The strange skin appendages of Longisquama are neither scales nor feathers. They are perhaps linked to the early evolution of dino and pterosaur fuzz, though,” New scientist quoted Michael Buchwitz of the Freiberg University of Mining and Technology, Germany, as saying.
Buchwitz has reanalysed the original fossil and says that the base of the structures lies so close to the bones of the spine that they were probably anchored deep within the skin. They were definitely attached to the body.
He has also studied recently discovered isolated “feathers” from the same locality, which are better preserved. He stated Longisquama’s appendages neither branch like real feathers nor vary in structure along their length as feathers do. Most tellingly, each carries a very unfeather-like thick border along one edge.
For all that, Buchwitz explained the appendages are clearly similar to the real deal. Like feathers, they have a central filament running along their lengths, for example. He thinks this means that they were constructed using the same developmental genes that later produced feathers.
Longisquama’s skeleton is too incomplete to work out its exact evolutionary position, but Buchwitz said the little reptile was probably part of the lineage that gave rise to pterosaurs, crocodiles, dinosaurs and birds.
Many of these groups later evolved their own skin appendages, including filaments on pterosaur wings, quills on the tails of some plant-eating ornithischian dinosaurs, and the proto-feathers of theropod dinosaurs.
Longisquama shows that evolution was experimenting with the genes that gave rise to feathers long before any of these animals appeared on the scene.
“It’s a very impressive analysis,” said Alan Brush, a feather specialist at the University of Connecticut in Storrs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow