Rhinoceros in Dudhwa Tiger Reserve get unique ID
Lakhimpur: For the first time in the country, rhinoceros in Dudhwa Tiger Reserve now have unique identity numbers, to keep a close watch over the movements.
"The unique identity numbers have been allotted to every rhino after preparing a complete data base and collecting the distinctive feature of each rhino," field director DTR Shailesh Prasad said.
Dudhwa has 28 rhinos in rhino rehabilitation area (RRA) which include six calves, seven male and 15 female.
"This is for the first time in India that unique identity numbers have been allocated to the animals," Prasad said.
He said with the unique identity numbers, the patrolling teams would be enabled to keep a close watch over the movements of every rhino with no confusion about their identities.
"Similar exercise to allot unique identity numbers to Dudhwa tigers is in the pipeline," the field director said.
He said that data base of the tigers has been prepared through camera trapping, scate analysis and physical observation and now proposal has been sent for the approval to the government.
Rhino rehabilitation programme in Dudhwa is world`s most successful programme of relocation of rhinos.
The programme in Dudhwa was started in 1987 with just 5 rhinos but the rich flora and fauna and highly adaptable Dudhwa habitat has helped rhinos to grow in numbers.
The population of rhinos in Dudhwa has shot to 28 at present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'