Rhinoceros in Dudhwa Tiger Reserve get unique ID
Lakhimpur: For the first time in the country, rhinoceros in Dudhwa Tiger Reserve now have unique identity numbers, to keep a close watch over the movements.
"The unique identity numbers have been allotted to every rhino after preparing a complete data base and collecting the distinctive feature of each rhino," field director DTR Shailesh Prasad said.
Dudhwa has 28 rhinos in rhino rehabilitation area (RRA) which include six calves, seven male and 15 female.
"This is for the first time in India that unique identity numbers have been allocated to the animals," Prasad said.
He said with the unique identity numbers, the patrolling teams would be enabled to keep a close watch over the movements of every rhino with no confusion about their identities.
"Similar exercise to allot unique identity numbers to Dudhwa tigers is in the pipeline," the field director said.
He said that data base of the tigers has been prepared through camera trapping, scate analysis and physical observation and now proposal has been sent for the approval to the government.
Rhino rehabilitation programme in Dudhwa is world`s most successful programme of relocation of rhinos.
The programme in Dudhwa was started in 1987 with just 5 rhinos but the rich flora and fauna and highly adaptable Dudhwa habitat has helped rhinos to grow in numbers.
The population of rhinos in Dudhwa has shot to 28 at present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand